Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, September 24, 1999

September 24, 1999

Believe it or not this was actually the last time Michelle and I were on
the radio and I'm just getting this out now. But before I got this out I
wanted to confirm 1) when we were going to be on the air next (Oct. 15)
and 2) thinking of a damn theme.

The Sept 24 was going to feature music from videos directed by Spike Jonze
but I ran out of time so that will become part of the next show. The
beginning of fall set filled out nicely even getting a phone in request
that was part of the theme.

Although the next show will be smack dab in the middle of Oktoberfest I
figure nobody would want to admit knowing any polka songs (however I will
be starting the show with the ultimate Oktoberfest song Blitzkrieg Polka
by the Wet Spots). So instead we are going to the squared circle, as we
are attending a sneak preview of Fight Club tonight. If you have any
suggestions about songs related to fighting or the like send them along.



Fireball XL5 Setlist Sept 24, 1999

TALK-Theme
The Sadies - I tried not to
The Sweater Girls - Scientific
Rocket Science - Going Through
Pushing Daisies - Walk out the Door
The Frantics - Mrs. G **Raisa Gorbachev passing away
TALK
Shannon Lyon - Today
James Hall & worship and praise - King of Glory
Saint Etienne - Leafhound
Leftfield - Afrika Shox
TALK
Rankin Family - Tell My Ma **Just announced break up
They Might be Giants - Whistling in the Dark **George C. Scott passing away
Pansy Division - He could be the one **playing in the area
Lloyd Cole - Chelsea Hotel **L. Cohen 65th B-day
Leonard Cohen - Suzanne **ditto
TALK (Michelle's 80s set)
Gene Loves Jezebell - Desire
Roxy Music - Dance Away
Echo & the bunnymen - Lips like Sugar
Depeche Mode - Just Can't get enough
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
TALK (Beginning of fall set)
Blinker the Star - September Already (request)
Big Star - September Gurls
Johnathan Richman - The Summer Feeling
Lloyd Cole - Unhappy Song
Earth, Wind and Fire - September
Matthew Good Band - Hello Time bomb
JFK and the Conspiritors - Tell me Baby
TALK
Parachute Club - Love and Compasion


No comments:

Post a Comment