Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, September 15, 2000

September 15, 2000

With this setlist I'm trying to address the problem of having too
many people in the header of the e-mail. So this week hopefully you
don't see any of the other names and it will look neater. However,
this also means that you don't know how many people are still on the
list, maybe everyone else has dropped out and I'm only sending this
to YOU. In fact maybe I don't even do a radio show anymore and I'm
only keeping up this charade as an excuse to send you an e-mail
every 2 weeks. Think about it!

It was Carolyn Mark-mania on this show, I did an interview with
her before her show at the Jane Bond. The interview didn't go very
well, we got along fine, but she just wasn't that talkative. You can
hear the interview for yourself at the following link:
moses.uwaterloo.ca/~frseglen/FireballXL5/sounds/carolyn_mark_small.ram

As a bonus when listening see
if you can count all the times I say "cool" or "very cool", I'm such
a loser. All the songs I played between interview bits were songs or artists
we talked about during the interview.

The Carolyn Mark show was great by the way, very energenic just having a lot of fun on
stage goofing with her band. At one point the drummer's mother who was in
the audience came on stage and spanked him with a wooden spoon because he
broke somebody's glass, now there is something you don't see at a
concert everyday.

For this week's show on September 29 I'll be playing selections
by Magnetic Fields frontman Stephin Merrit's other pursuits The
Sixths. He writes the songs and gets famous alternative people
to sing them, I'll have more on that in the next setlist.

As well the Olympics are winding down and I should have probably
thought of this two weeks ago but what the heck, everybody can
send in their Olympic related songs.


Fireball XL5 Setlist Sept 15/ 2000

TALK-Theme (The disjointed set)
Skinny Puppy - Who's Laughing Now(C) **See Note 1
Nomeansno - Our Town(C)
Bill Bourne, Lester Quitzar, Madascar Slim(C) - Scarecrow Murders
Quartango - Taquito Militar(C)
TALK (The smooth flowing set)
Thievery Corporation - Lebenese Blonde
Ashley MacIssac - Sleepy Maggie(C)
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Delerium (Featuring Sarah McLachlin) - Silence(C)
St. Etienne - Don't Back Down
TALK
Carolyn Mark - Not Another Woman(C)
Carolyn Mark Interview Part 1
Neko Case & Her Boyfriends - Whip the Blankets(C)
Carolyn Mark Interview Part 2
Show Business Giants - I Can't Get Russel Johnson off my mind(C)
Carolyn Mark Interview Part 3
Jerry Jerry and the Sons of Rhythmn Orchestra - Venus(C)
Carolyn Mark Interview Part 4
Carolyn Mark - The Way Back(C)
TALK
Jo Mama - Electric Circus or Something(C)
Caffeine - You Spin Me Round
Atomic Cosmonauts - Oscilation
Billy Childish - Can't Love You
The Sixths - He Didn't
TALK
Dinosaur Jr. - Sure Not Over You

No comments:

Post a Comment