Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, January 19, 2001

January 19, 2001

New music abounded during this show, this meant I liked some of the music and hated some of it, but if you don't take chances how are you going to find new music you like? The show then ended with my tribute to the departed Al Waxman and songs that Michelle thinks are similar so we played them together.

After the setlist are your best of 2000 lists, thanks for all who submitted them and bad on you that didn't (maybe I should make submitting a top 3 list a requirement for getting the Best of 2000 CD, which I've been asked about and yes we are in the early planning stages for it). In the meantime here the official Fireball XL5 Best of 2000 webpage is now ready for viewing:
www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/frseglen/archive/best_of_2000.htm

This week's show (February 2) is of course Groundhog Day, I have no idea what to play to honour this day of international celebration (and incidently the birthday of list member John Shimeld) so if you have any ideas send them along.

And one more thing:

Can you believe they voted Kel off!

Fireball XL5 Setlist January 19/2001

TALK-Theme
Tijuana Bibles - High School Ring (C)
Pigeon-Hole - We're not going to take it (C) Yup, a Twisted Sister Cover
Original Soup - Nothing that you do (C)
The Undercurrents - I thought you knew before (C)
The Cartel - Cold Embrace (C)
Philip Rummel - Holy Maton (C)
TALK
The Stranglers - Golden Brown From the Snatch Soundtrack
Frank Black and the Catholics - Robert Onion
J Mascis & the Fog - Darlin' of Discoteque
Joe Moma - Interstellar
Uphold - Devil Girl!
TALK
The Chemical Brothers - Freak of the Week
New Order - Age of Consent
Scanty Sandwich - Because of You
Olivia Tremor Control - Hideway
TALK (Al Waxman Tribute)
Teddy Orchestra - Cagney & Lacey Theme Obvious connection
Chixdiggit - King of Kensington (C) Not the actual theme song
Jonathan Richman - I must be King He was the King
Lowest of the Low - Salesmen Cheats and Liars (C) Michelle and I saw him in Death of a Salesman
The Look People - Trucker Butt (C) **See Note 1
TALK
Crash Vegas - Red Earth (C) **See Note 2
The Lemonheads - Outdoor Type
Billy Bragg - Great Leap Forward
The Caribean - Verse by Verse
TALK
The Soggy Bottom Boys - I am a man of Constant Sorrow

Note 1: I played the Look People because the lead singer Jaymz Bee always said he
was the president of the Al Waxman fan club and that he had a tatoo of Waxman on
his arm. I looked for him on the TV coverage of the funeral but I didn't see him.

Note 2: Ever since I have played the Lemonheads' song Outdoor Type from the Tao
of Steve soundtrack Michelle said that it reminded her of both the Crash Vegas
song and the Billy Bragg song, after hearing them played together I agree that the
beginning of all three songs are almost identical. Who is stealing from whom?

(C) Denotes Canadian Content

Listmembers Best of 2000

Karen M:

Albums:
Sarah Harmer, You Were Here
PJ Harvey, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
Sleater Kinney, All Hands on the Bad One

Concerts:
Sleater Kinney, Opera House
Saint Etienne, Opera House
Macha and Go-Betweens, Bowery Ballroom (CMJ, NYC)

Derek W:

Johnny Cash, Barbara Manning's singles-and-B-sides
compilation, Under One Roof, and Neuseiland (who contain members of Thrush
Hermit and/or the Super Friendz I believe). I also liked Mojave 3 and Badly
Drawn Boy.

Dave C:

Radiohead - Kid A (yes, predictable)
Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia (ahh... overproduction)
Dido - No Angel (a relaxing mix... beats out Enya... at least
alphabetically.)

Trevor D:

My one and only pick for best album of 2000-
Napster. It's all I now need, and has changed the way I go about listening
to music forever. It's also changed the music industry forever too..it's
set the ball in motion for the end of the record companies and more power to
the individual artist.

Steven F:

1) Jolly Llamas - Shangra Llama
2) Motoerhead - we are motoerhead
3) Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary

Stephen R:

Radiohead "Kid A".

Ted T:

1. Asian Dub Foundation - Community Music
2. St. Germain - Tourist
3. Jurassic 5 - Quality Control

...Screw you!, I gotta add another...

4. Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspirasy


Remember the Fireball XL5 Homepage is at www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/frseglen

No comments:

Post a Comment