Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, March 16, 2007

March 16, 2007

Theme: In the Hall of Fame
On Air: Frank

Thanks for all the suggestions about the Hall of Fame set, as you can see below I tried to stay away from the most popular songs by the artists and used a Van Halen cover instead of the real thing. I got a lot of suggestions for an REM song, but I had to defer to Derek on that one as he is the biggest REM fan I know. I thought that "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five was a bit to obvious, so I went with "White Lines". There is also some controversy about the song as to whether or not Grandmaster Flash (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandmaster_flash).

I have complained in the past few months about not finding a lot to play from the CKMS new release section, however this has really turned around lately. Combined with the many different websites I have found highlighting the Scandanavian bands playing the recent South by Southwest music festival in Texas it meant that I had lots of songs to play for the show (and lots of songs leftover). Here are some of those sites about SXSW:

sixeyes.blogspot.com/2007/03/scandinavia-comes-to-sxsw-mp3s.html
www.popmatters.com/pm/features/article/31476/bylarm-2007-part-1-the-music

I got an e-mail from a band from the United Kingdom call the Hit and Runs, they had seen my setlists and thought their music would fit into my show. So I checked them out and liked them, you should check them out at www.thehitandruns.com

TALK - Theme

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Don't Forget To Forget Me
Ane Brun - To Let Myself Go
Leopold - Johnny
Air - Once Upon A Time
Moi Caprice - For Once In Your Life Fight For Something You Believe In **See Note 1
TALK
Marit Bergman - No Party
You Say Party! We Say Die! - Downtown Mayors Goodnight, Alley Kids Rule (C)
Annemarie - The Living Model
Deacon Blue - A Is For Astronaught **See Note 2
The Saturday People - Slipping Through Your Fingers **See Note 2
The Hit and Runs - Low Tops and Make-up **See Note above
TALK
Jeremy Fisher - Remind Me (C)
Nich Worby - Oh, Little Bonez (C)
Sondre Lerche - Well Well Well
Sean Clarke - No Phone Before Regina (C)
Geoff Berner - Good Luck Now (C)
TALK (Hall Of Fame Set)
Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five - White Lines (Don't Do It)
Patti Smith - Kimberly **Suggested by Dan
REM - Harborcoat **Suggested by Derek
Aztec Camera - Jump (of course a Van Halen cover)
The Ronettes - Do I Love You?
TALK
Adaptor 45 - Keep on Groovin' (C)
Steady, Garcia - Pretend Girlfriend (C) **See Note 3
Peter Elkas - Sweet Nancy (C)
The Gruesomes - Out Of Our Tree (C)
TALK
Arcade Fire - Ocean Of Noise (C)

Note 1: I thought this song was an unknown song by the Flaming Lips the first time I heard it.

Note 2: Stolen from the podcast The Great Leap Forward

Note 3: I loved the title of the album this song is from: "Bring me the head of Steady, Garcia", this reminds me of one of my favourite sketches written by my friend Cat Sullivan called "Bring me the head of Poncho Garcia". This was back in another life when we used to co-host a radio comedy show called The Frank, Frank, and Frank show. Of course they both were taken from the Sam Peckinpah movie "Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia".

(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment