Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, November 9, 2007

November 9, 2007

Theme: Fun with Bruce
On Air: Frank and Bruce

I was lucky enough to have a guest on this week's show in the form of Bruce who came all the way from Saskatoon just to be there (well actually he might have had a meeting in town or something like that as well). As a result of having a guest you might notice from the length of the setlist that we talked a lot and didn't play nearly as many songs as a usual week.

For the first time in a while I played a funky/jazzy/dancy kind of set, I know it has been a while as some of the songs came from the CDs I made a few months ago. The rest of the show was a mish-mash of whatever Bruce and I felt like playing, but overall we mixed up picking out most of the music so I didn't note who picked what on the list.

One thing we didn't really talk much about till nearly the end of my show was recent trip to Chicago, but I did manage to get in my two stories that came from riding on the Chicago subway (you will have to listen to podcast to find out more). But I didn't have the time to properly talk about the main reason that I went to Chicago was to see Jens Lekman, so I'll try and do a better recap on the next show.


TALK-Theme
The Sonics - Stychnine
Immaculate Machine - Broken Ship (C)
Chuck Prophet - Doubter of Jesus (All Over You)
The Fiery Furnaces - The Old Hag Is Sleeping
The Voom Booms - Nine Ships
TALK (funky/jazzy/dancy set 1)
Stan Getz - The Girl From Ipanema
The Trinidad Steel Band - Sissy Strut
Ruby And The Romantics - Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
Time Box - Beggin'
Roisin Murphy - Let Me Know **See Note 1
TALK (funky/jazzy/dancy set 2)
Gorillaz - Rock The House
Buck 65 - Dang (C)
David Bowie with The Pet Shop Boys - Hallo Spaceboy
Small Sins - I Need A Friend (C)
Thievery Corporation - Vivid
TALK
Eugene Ripper - Banks Of Newfoundland (C) **See Notes 2 and 3
Dog Day - Oh Dead Life (C)
Neverending White Lights - The World Is Darker (C)
The Weakerthans - Sun In An Empty Room (C)
Jens Lekman - Sipping On The Sweet Nectar
TALK
Feist - I Feel It All (C)

Note 1: Out of all the songs I played this week this is the one I have listened to the most since the show.

Note 2: The last time Bruce and I had seen each other was at a conference in St. John's, Newfoundland at a conference, thus this song seemed appropriate.

Note 3: Another note about this song was that it came from a CD that was sent to me by Eugene Ripper.

(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment