Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, August 29, 2008

August 29, 2008

Theme: My Sentimental Heart
On Air: Frank

I have to thank Mary for my best song of the week, she asked me if I had heard "Sentimental Heart" by She & him, at the time I had not heard of the song but really enjoyed it when I heard it. So much so that I picked up the CD entitled "Volume One" when I saw it in a record store the past weekend. The band consists of M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel but you can listen to the show to find out more about She & him.

When playing the "Let's Ride Mega Mix" by Gonzales I started thinking about what is this year's song of the summer. Although I didn't particularly listen to the song this summer it has the elements of a good summer song with the funky beats and summer vibe.

The last set ended with the band the Stolen Minks (friends of the show) who came on my show last year. This year they are doing a mega 10 week tour across Canada and the US and if you are reading this anywhere in North America the chances are they are going to be playing in your town. Check out their tour schedule here http://www.myspace.com/stolenminks and read their tour blog here: http://thestolenminks.exclaim.ca/

And I ended with a request that I finally played for Paul that he made way back before my last show on CKMS, sorry about being so late.



TALK-Theme
She & Him - Sentimental Heart
Therea Andersson - Birds Fly Away
Firefox AK with Tiger Lou - Winter Rose
Yo La Tengo - Our Little Corner Of The World
Hello Saferide - San Francisco **For Karen
TALK
Marching Band - Makeup Artist
Peace In Our Time - Desperate for something to say
The Second Band - No Song
Speedmarket Avenue - I Can Tell By Here Eyes
The Gresham Flyers - Shiftwork
TALK
salut!machaut - Train Song
Billie the Vision and The Dancers - Lily From The Middleway Street
I'm From Barcelona - Music Killed Me
The Polyphonic Spree - Running Away
TALK
Suburban Kids With Biblical Names - Love Will
Pop Levi - Never Never Love
Sad Day For Puppets - Hush
Crystal Castles - Courtship Dating
TALK
Natalia Clavier - Dormida
Air France - No Excuses
The Virgins - Rich Girls
Monte Marde - Highschool Drama
Gonzales - Let's Ride Mega Mix (C)
TALK
New Radiant Storm Kings - Undignified
Born Ruffians - Hummingbird (C)
Okkervill River - Lost Coastlines
Hawaii Mud Bombers - Chewy - Lovie
The Stolen Minks - Peppy Twist (C)
TALK
Holiday Flyer - I'm Here, You're Gone



(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment