Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, March 16, 2001

March 16, 2001

I had more fun than I was expecting during the St. Patrick's Day show, we split the music into a set of celtic sounding music and then bands that have some Irish connection even if they don't sound celtic, ie. I don't think My Bloody Valentine was played as too many Irish Pubs on St. Patrick's Day. But looking over the setlist now I realize that all of the celtic music I have listened to is 5 - 10 years old, I just haven't been into that kind of music in many years, I don't know why.

The next show (Friday March 30) will be just a couple of days before one of the most important dates on my calendar - Opening Day of the Baseball Season. Any baseball themed requests would be appreciated.

I know I've been saying it for the last 4 weeks, but this time the Official Fireball XL5 CD is really almost ready to be shipped, they will start going out this weekend.

One last thing, once again Team CKMS is climbing the CN tower to raise money for the World Wildlife Fund (www.wwf.ca) on April 21, if you feel like sponsoring me please contact me.


TALK-Theme
Nomeansno - I Need You (C) See Note 1
Mad Bomber Society - Shotgun (C)
Les Fabian - Lady (C)
Les Sequels - Quatre Cheveau dans le ? (C)
The Sadies - Flash (C)
ShroomJob - Groovy Little Hippie Chick (C) See Note 2
TALK
Otis Taylor - My Souls in Louisana
Jelly Roll Morton - ? Rag
James Cotton - She's My Baby
Odetta - ?
? - I want to be Ready Ben Harper Cover
TALK
Uisce Beatha - Purple Heather (C)
War Wagon - Madawaska Rain (C)
Spirit of the West - Our Station (C)
The Pogues - Dirty Old Town See Note 3
Rawlins Cross - O'Neil's March/ Haugs of Cromdale (C)
Thomas Trio and the Red Albino - Sun Rising (C)
TALK
The 4 of Us - Mary
Waterboys - Don't Bang the Drum
World Party - Way Down Now
Hothouse Flowers - Don't Go
Therapy? - Teeth Grinder
My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow
TALK
Kristen Hersh - Cold Water Coming
Hawksley Workman - Little Tragedies (C)
Arab Strap - Love Detective
TALK
Pizzicato Five - Happy Birthday For Norm whose birthday is on St. Patrick's Day

Note 1: For Steven Fassnacht as he recently went to see them in concert in Arizona

Note 2: Got a request for this band because they were playing in Kitchener, they are the worst band ever, stay far away from ShroomJob

Note 3: Request for Steven P. Robinson, fitting as both of us used to be able to play the beginning of this song on the harmonica


(C) Denotes Canadian Content

Remember the Fireball XL5 Homepage is at www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/frseglen

No comments:

Post a Comment