Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, March 2, 2001

March 2, 2001

I know I was a little nervous about the Inner city Surfers coming on the show last week, I downloaded a few of their songs and they were a bit heavier than I was expecting. For some reason I had visions in my head of Hell Angel's pulling up to the station, but it turns out they were just a couple of white suburban kids being punk rockers. They were articulate and friendly and left after half and hour, overall it went as well as could be expected. They were playing that night at the Bombshelter opening for former local band Paintbox (featuring Greg Hood-Morris for you Imprint alums).

I also finally got to play a few leftovers from the kiss set, including some of Kenton's suggestions. I also had a set of CDs that I was listening to in my office, Michelle doesn't get to listen to CDs in her office. Here's a good setlist question:

1) Are you allowed to listen to music during work
2) Do you?

I was also hoping to have started distributing the official "Fireball XL5 Best of 2000" CD by the time I wrote this. Although I'm close the first CD is still a few days off. But I WILL be distributing them before the next setlist so if you don't think I have your mailing address please e-mail it to me (not for KW people of course).

The next show (March 16) is of course the day before St. Patrick's Day, not really my favourite celebration, lining up all day, people drinking green beer, not really my scene (Of course I'll probably find myself at the Jane Bond on Saturday night watching Bernard in his band the Wagon Wheels anyway). So if you want to send along your favourite Irish themed selections it would be appreciated.

See the current Survivor Contest standing, right now Michelle is looking hard to beat:

www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/frseglen/survivor2.htm


Fireball XL5 Setlist March 2/2001

TALK-Theme
Paintbox - Life Ability (C)
Paintbox - Window Surfer (C)
TALK - Interview I
Inner City Surfers - Whole Lot Happier (C)
TALK - Interview II
Inner City Surfers - Goin' Out (C)
TALK - Interview III
Reverend Horton Heat - Baddest of the Bad
Meat Puppets - Backwater
Superchunk - 10000 Fireflies
TALK (Kiss set revisited)
Magnetic Fields - Kiss Me Like You Mean It
Del Lords - Judas Kiss
Brian Ferry - Kiss and Tell
Shirley Bassey - Hey, Big Spender
Andras Jones - Six Million Dollar Ken
TALK (Office CDs)
Badly Drawn Boy - Dissilusion
Chaos for Comfort - Steelway (request) (C)
The Gruesomes - Love Got in the Way (C)
Electronic - Out of my League
New Order - Sub-culture
TALK
The Sadies - Glass of Wine (C)
Weeping Tile - I'm Late (C)
The Januaries - Chocolate and Strawberries
St. Etienne - Queen of Polythene
Soviet Loop Syndicate - Spanish Inquisition Funk (C)
Fuck - Its Unbelievable
Otis Rush - Sit Down Baby
TALK
Oyster Band - Love Vigilanties


(C) Denotes Canadian Content

Remember the Fireball XL5 Homepage is at www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/frseglen

No comments:

Post a Comment