Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, June 23, 2006

June 23, 2006

Theme: A Night in Paris
On Air: Frank


I was really happy with how this show came together, probably something to do with the fact that I missed a show because of my knee surgery and had not been on the air in a month.

A special song I played was called "A Night in Paris", it is a song about Paris Hilton (the lyric goes "I want to spend a night in Paris"). Even better was that the version I got off the band's website was updated from the original with a new boyfriend (now gone) and new dog. The song was also topical as Paris was in the news for making out with Jose Theodore after the MuchMusic Video awards. In the same vain I played the Mojo Nixon song "Stuffin' Martha's Muffin" and the Show Business Giants "I've Got A Crush on Wendy Mesley". Unfortunately I couldn't find another song - "Winona Ryder, I want to rider her" but the song might only exist in my imagination.

I got to play another song by the Swedish band "Irene", I've only heard 3 songs but I love each one of them, I'm really looking forward to hearing their first album this summer.

I ended the show on a World Cup note (Go Argentina! - I have them in a pool), unfortunately the station no longer has the New Order song "World in Motion" that they did for the 1990 World Cup. I ended with Jens Lekman because I was under the mistaken impression that he was playing goal for the German World Cup team, it turns out the goalie's name is actually Jens Lehman, sorry my bad.

It was too easy but I had to follow up the Camera Obscura song (Lloyd, I'm ready to be heartbroken) with the song it refers to - Lloyd Cole's "Art you ready to be heartbroken".

If you are in the Kitchener-Waterloo area for Canada Day and you are going to check out the fireworks on the University of Waterloo campus, be sure to stick around after the fireworks and on the main stage you will see Knock, Knock, Ginger, in my opinion they are the best local band around today.



TALK - Theme
Camera Obscura - Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken?
S'ambassadeur - Kate
Venus & Fergus - Song For My Head (C)
Tasty Treats & Smelly Feet - Jet Ski Accidents (C) **Love this band name
TALK
Knock, Knock, Ginger - Looks & Books (C)
The Hylozoists - Smiley Smiley (C)
Figurines - Rivalry
Math and Physics Club - Graduation Day
Irene - To Be With You
TALK (Funky set)
Professor Longhair - Big Chief
Catherine and the Firebirds - He's Sure To Remember Me
Jo-Jo and the Fugitives - Chips, Chicken, Banana Split **Love this song title
Lil'Ed and the Blues Imperials - Pride and Joy
Herb Albert - Green Peppers
TALK
Nous Non Plus - A Night in Paris
Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper - Stuffin' Martha's Muffin
Show Business Giants - I've Got A Crush On Wendy Mesley (C)
Peter Mansbridge and the CBCs - Back Where You Came From (C)
TALK
The Leather Uppers - Break My Leg (C)
Starbeam - No Earthly Means of Transportation (C)
The Girls - My Baby
Air Miami - World Cup Fever
TALK
Jens Lekman - A Higher Power


(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment