Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, July 7, 2006

July 7, 2006

Theme: Art, Daniel Johnson, and the Bikini
On Air: Frank





In the week before this show, I went to see the movie about quirky alternative singer Daniel Johnston (http://www.hihowareyou.com/) called "The Devil and Daniel Johnston", it was quite good and I recommend it to people familiar with him, however I don't know how the movie would be for people who aren't.

During the movie, they interview the lead singer of the band the Butthole Surfers while he was getting a tooth filled at the dentist, I didn't like that scene. Anyway, I played the song Sweat Loaf as it was featured in the movie and it reminds of my days at CHRW where Dave, Brian, and I used to play that song and mix in wacky sound bites during the quiet parts, the original mash up. I tried it here with the only spoken word record I could find in the station - George Carlin, but no matter who it was, I think that it needs to be about 4 in the morning before the process makes sense.

I played the Diskettes song "Art" as Michelle was part of the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition going on that weekend in Toronto. I ended the show honouring the 60th anniversary of the bikini, it was introduced on July 6, 1956 although it was already being worn by French women for many years, that style of swimsuit got its name that day. Plus I never need an excuse to play "Wild Bikini" by Tullycraft.



TALK - Theme
Melba Moore - The Magic Touch
Nina Simone - My Baby Just Cares For Me
Saffire - Wild Women Don't Get The Blues
Candi Station - His Hands
Dimitiri From Paris - Nothing to Lose
TALK (mostly chick rock set)
Vancouger - Naughty (C) **Second favourite song of the show
The Stolen Minks - Black Widow (C)
The Pipettes - Hurts To See You Dance So Well
J.A.L.E. - Jesus Loves Me (C)
The Diskettes - Art
TALK
Butthole Surfers - Sweat Loaf
Daniel Johnson - Mind Contorted
Irene - Stardust
The Summerlad - The Balled of El Communicado (C) **Dedicated to Iain
The Get Sets - One Sneaker (C)
TALK
Harvey Danger - Sad Sweatheart of the Rodeo **video features Ione Skye
Donovan - The Way **Biological father of Ione Skye
Belle and Sebastian - Dress Up In You
Camera Obscura - Tears For Affairs
Math and Physics Club - Movie Ending Romance
TALK
MSTRKRFT - Easy Love (C)
Deep Dish featuring Lindsay Buckingham - Dreams
Chris Joss - Drink Me Hot
RAM - Love Is The Answer (C)
Ted Moses Quintet - Hidden Strength (C)
- The Leather Uppers (C)
Cousin - The Girl I Know
TALK
Tullycraft - Wild Bikini



(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment