Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Monday, December 17, 2007

December 17, 2007

Theme: Christmas Time
On Air: Frank

I played a few new Christmas songs and a few old Fireball XL5 standards, but when all is said and done the best holiday song is still Elisa Gabbai's Winter In Kanada.

Not much else to say about the show, but I just wanted to mention that most of the new songs I played I stole from this podcast:
http://notquiterocketscience.com/2007/12/pop-christmas.html

TALK-Theme
Lucky Lucky Pigeons - Red Santa
Amelia Fletcher and Hit Parade - Christmas Tears
The Fireflys - Xmas Song
Shumai - California Christmas
David Carswell and Megan Barnes - I Wanna Kiss You This Christmas (C)
TALK
Irene - Christmas On The Beach
Shadetree - Christmas Peace
Hello Saferide - Ipod Xmas
Higher Elevations - All These Summer Nights
Buck - Christmas In My Heart (C)
TALK
Belle and Sebastian - Santa, Bring My Baby Back
Dada - My Baby Fell For Ol' St Nick
Louis Armstrong - Zat You, Santa Claus?
New Birth Brass Band - Santa's Second Line
Jaymz Bee And The Royal Jelly Orchestra - Jingle Bells (C)
TALK
The Gems - Love For Christmas
The Diskettes - Noel (C)
Young and Sexy - Santa Claus Likes Rich Kids Better (C)
Bobby Baby - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Montt Mardie - I Wish Everyday Could Be Christmas
Rose Melberg and Gregory Webs - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)
TALK
Lucky Soul - Lonely This Christmas
Eux Autres - Another Christmas At Home
Oh! Sweet Music - Oh! Sweet Christmas
Parker Lewis - Xmas Carols NYC
Stars - Fairytale Of New York (C)
TALK
Carolyn Mark - The Christmas Song (C)
Relient K - I Ain't Getting Nuttin For Christmas
Yo La Tengo - Rock'N'Roll Santa
Arcade Fire - Jingle Bell Rock (C)
The Decemberists - Please Daddy (Don't Get Drunk Tonight)
El Perro Del Mar - Oh What A Christmas
Darryl Reimer - Merry Big Ole Christmas (C)
Elisa Gabbai - Winter In Kanada
TALK
The Knife - Christmas Reindeer


(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment