Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, December 7, 2007

December 7, 2007

Theme: Spotlight on HHBTM
On Air: Frank

I got through a lot of great music this show that I had stored up the weeks and months before. I also did two sets highlighting a great record label with a great name: Happy Happy Birthday to Me. I came upon them reading a blog that described bands as having that "HHBTM" sound, I like the band so I did some research and found out what HHBTM stood for and found the record label's website. Most of the bands have the Indie-Twee sound that I'm into so it was a fortuitous find.

You can find out more about the label and listen to many of bands here: http://www.hhbtm.com

Just one other note that the song my Murray Dear sounded to me so much like the Magnetic Fields that I had to play them immediately after. In other Magnetic Fields news their new album is due out in January something that I'm very much looking forward to hearing.

TALK-Theme
Rilo Kiley - Silver Lining
The Sadies - Higher Power (C)
Bughouse 5 - Ten Lost Years (C)
Hot Kid - Ties That Bind (C)
Andrew Vincent and the Pirates - Martha (C)
TALK
The Weakerthans - Civil Twilight (C)
The Evaporators - Grassy Jack (C)
Cut Off Your Hands - Expectations
The Purrs - She's Got Chemicals
TV On The Radio - Wolf Like Me
We All Have Hooks For Hands - The Man Is Trying To Outfox Us All
TALK
Murray Dear - Deserter
The Magnetic Fields - I Thought You Were My Boyfriend
Tellus About The Moon - Hate
Postal Blue - Weather Sensitive
The Assistants - Stop Dead (C)
TALK (HHBTM Set 1)
Keith John Adams - Never Look Down
Patience Please - I'll Have What She's Having
The Smittens - Stop The Bombs
Casper and the Cookies - Eux Autres
TALK (HHBTM Set 1)
James Ausfahrt - Lucy Ferocious
Slumber Party - Sooner Or Later
Spring Factory - Get Out Of Bed
The Dreamers - A Place I Know
TALK
Lykke Li - Little Bit
B'Ehl - Jammers Like Me (C)
Paint By Numbers - Deep In The Snow
The Lovely Feathers - The Only Appalachian Cornfield (C)
The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir - I Never Thought I Could Feel That Way For A Boy
TALK
DJ Champion - No Heaven (C)


(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment