Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, February 29, 2008

February 29, 2008

Theme: Bisextile Day
On Air: Frank

I started a new Leap Day tradition with this show as I had two songs that I couldn't decide between for my top song of the week, so this week there are officially two top songs of the week. Both of the these (along with the third song) all came from the excellent Popcasting podcast ( www.geocities.com/popcastingpop ).

There were also two sets of music from bands that had either just played or were about to play locally. I managed to see most of them, including a short but very fun set by Catriona Sturton, it was only afterward that I found out that she was once a member of the great Halifax indie-pop band from the the 90s called Plumtree. However, as it turns out she hadn't joined the band when the song by Plumtree was recorded.

And can I tell you how much I am lovin' the way that I can now play songs live off the internet using the Wi-Fi capabilities at CKMS. For example on my European Capitals (well almost) set I remembered during the show that I have been meaning to play a song by Jens Lekman that I found on a blog once. I managed to find it again thanks to technorati and play it on the show.

I ended with the only "Leap" song I could think of: a live (and updated) version of his song "Waiting For The Great Leap Forward".


TALK-Theme
Kings Have Long Arms F. - Big Umbrella
Adele - Chasing Pavement
The Duke Spririt - The Step and the Walk
The Higher Elevations - Breaking The News
The Heavenly States - Lost In The Light
TALK (Owen's Birthday Party)
Burning Hell - Grave Situation Part 1 (C)
Wax Mannequin - The Price (C)
Catriona Sturton - Digger (C)
Plum Tree - Sodium Chloride (C)
TALK (Playing Waterloo this week)
D'Ubervilles - This Is The Life (C)
Superfantastics - Lullaby Punches (C)
Laura Barrett - Deception Island Optimists Club (C)
Elbow Beach Surf Club - Its Not Working (C)
Immaculate Machine - Secret Affliction (C)
TALK (European Capitals Set - sort of)
The Arcade Fire - All The Umbrellas In London
The Last Party - Come Back To Stockholm
Billie the Unison and the Dancers - A Beautiful Night In Oslo
The Blue Seeds - Barcelona (C)
Jens Lekman and The Silver Ages - Paris
TALK
Pinto - Iron and Rust
Indurain - The Moment
Le Futur Pompists - It's Not You
My Darling You! - We Break Up On Friday
TALK
Miss T-Bones - Voodoo Doll
Strip Squad - Damn You
Foals - Balloon
Santa Maria - Dogs
Paper - To Her
Vampire Weekend - Oxford Comma
TALK
Billy Bragg - Waiting For The Great Leap Forward (live at Barbicon)

(C) Denotes Canadian Content

No comments:

Post a Comment