Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

March 14, 2008

Theme: Pi Day
On Air: Frank

It was only during the show that I was reminded that March 14 is also known as Pi Day (03 14). That person also hooked me up with the song by Kate Bush. By the way, the actual title of the song by Kate Bush is the mathematical symbol for pi, but it is difficult to get that symbol to print in these text files. A quick search of Hype Machine found another "Pie" song by Ben Hibbard and Ted Leo that was not only a Neil Diamond cover but also described here ( http://www.friendsoftom.com/fotpedia/index.php?title=Porcupine_Pie ) as "the worst song in the history of mankind".

I started off with some artists that I hope to be seeing in a few months: all of Lykke Li, El Perro Del Mar, and Anna Ternheim are touring together this spring. And although I am missing the Toronto show, as it happens I will be on the west coast when they are playing Seattle so I'm going to see them there.


There were also a lot of CDs in the CKMS new release section that were interesting, including the entire album from Adele that contains last week's top song. I scanned through the rest of the CD and the rest of it sounds really good as well.

TALK-Theme
Lykke Li - I'm Good, I'm Gone
El Perro Del Mar - How Did We Forget
Anna Ternheim - To Be Gone
Anna Jorvinen - Gotgatan
TALK
Hawksley Workman - Alone Here (C)
Luther Wright - Goodtime (C)
Vampire Hands - Paradise Knife Fights
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Gold Son
TALK (Pi set)
Kate Bush - Pi
Ben Hibbard and Ted Leo - Porcupine Pie
Friday Bridge - Love and Nostalgia
Oh No Miriam - Girls at School
TALK
The Teenagers - Starlett Johansson
Grand Theft Bus - Don't Go Say That (C)
D'Ubervilles - Hot Tips (C)
The Lovely Feathers - Rod Stewart (C)
TALK
The Sugarettes - Ready Steady
Dog Day - The Uptown Train
Joe Jackson - The Uptown Train
Adele - Tired
TALK
Under Electric Lights - Your Rainy Days (C)
Russian Futurists - Sentiments and Syllables (C)
Supreme Beings Of Leisure - The Light
Francis and the Lights - Striking
Maynard Ferguson - My Sister (C)
TALK
Moses Mayes - Jungle Plums Part 2

(C) Denotes Canadian Content


No comments:

Post a Comment