Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, March 28, 2008

March 28, 2008

Theme: The best thing about New York City is you and me
On Air: Frank

This show seemed like it was over before it started, it just went by in flash. Unfortunately for the people who were actually listening (or about to listen on the podcast) I did a lot of talking, mostly about my trip to New York City the weekend before the show. I won't go into the stories here, but if you do check out the podcast you can hear about why we went, the flights from hell, and a first hand account of NYC's Bowery Ballroom.

The top song this week was from a very unknown artist from Winnipeg whom I saw on Muchmusic's The Wedge (yes it is still on Wayne), the song just grabbed me with its funky feel and cool vocals.


TALK-Theme
Voldis - Flashlight (C)
The Lions - Jungle Struttin
The Heavy - That Kind of Man
Little Dragon - Forever
Daddy Long Legs - Drives the Girls Crazy (C)
TALK
Los Campensinos - Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats
Woodhands - I Wasn't Made For Fighting (C)
Bocce - Disco Juan (C)
Hilotrons - Lights Off (C)
The Magic - Door To Door (C)
TALK (New York City Set)
Vampire Weekend - Campus
Saturday Looks Good To Me - Make A Plan
The Crash - Reasons To Sing
Sons And Daughters - Johnny Cash
The Brunettes - Obligatory Road Song
TALK
We Are Scientists - After Hours
The B-52s - Hot Corner
The Teenagers - Feeling Better
White Town - Taste Of A Girl
These United States - First Sight
TALK
Girlfriendo - Make Up
Fitness Forever - Bachrach
Kimkio - Dogru
Hawksley Workman - Piano Blank (C)
Matthew Barber - I'm Gonna Settle My Accounts With You
Billy Bragg - I Almost Killed You
TALK
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - We Call On The Author

(C) Denotes Canadian Content


No comments:

Post a Comment