Fireball XL5 is the name of an indie-pop show hosted by Frank Seglenieks that for 18 years was on CKMS 100.3 FM Radio Waterloo. However, as a result of a format change in mid-2008, Fireball XL5 is now heard only as a podcast.

Of course I stole the name of the show from the 60s British Supermarionation program, which featured puppets kind of like the movie Team America.

I play alternative music that usually classified as indie-pop with the occasional feature on a particular artist or theme as well as discussions on pop culture topics of the day. I start off each show with the best song that I have heard since the last
show.

Note that the links to shows older than 6 months might not be working, if you really want those shows please send me an email and I can get them to you.

Friday, May 8, 2009

May 8, 2009

Theme: Derek Weiler (1968-2009)
On Air: Frank

This was at the same time the easiest show to do and the hardest. As most of you probably heard my very good friend Derek Weiler passed away in April. I felt that just playing a set or two in a regular show wasn't enough thus this entire show is about Derek.

It contains songs that had special connections between me and Derek from the first day we met to the last time I saw him. His influence on my musical tastes (and those of countless others) will be evident in the music I listen to for the rest of my days.

If Derek thought that you had even a hint of interest in music you were sure to receive a mixed CD or back in the day a mixed tape. And it wasn't just about the music, but it was about the handwritten linear notes, with special notations for the songs he thought you would really like.

Since meeting Derek at a Johnny Cash concert back in the fall of 1991, I can't count the number of bands that I first heard of from him, be it from a mixed tape, mixed CD, in a car, or being dragged to a concert by a band I had never heard of but ended up loving. Apart from going to countless concerts together we also co-hosted a weekly radio show for a little over a year (Jan 1993 to April 1994) called Wackyland, this was the real start of my musical education. This education never stopped as I played a song he recommended on my last podcast and finally got to another recommendation on this show.

Every once in a while in the past month I've heard a tidbit about a band and I think "I should really e-mail that to Derek", but then I realized that I can't do that anymore, and that's something I'm going to miss every single day.

Again most of you probably know about this, but if not you can see all the things that people have written about Derek on the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=69655274189


Fireball XL5 Setlist - May 8, 2009
Jian Ghomeshi tribute to Derek Weiler
TALK (First meeting)
Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down
Smashing Pumpkins - Today
TALK (First recommendation)
Magnetic Fields - 100 000 Fireflies
The Sixths - Heaven in a Black Leather Jacket
TALK (More recommendations)
Belle and Sebastian - Dirty Dream No. 2
Yo la Tengo - Autumn Sweater
TALK (Wackyland memories)
Jerry Jerry and the Sons of Rhythm Orchestra - Beautiful Loser (C)
Kids in the Hall - Dave's I know (C)
Sam-n-the-swing - Sweetforu (when I'm with you)
TALK (mixed tapes and CDs)
The Beginnerz - Reckless Girl
Flamin' Groovies - Shake some Action
TALK (memories of Phil's)
The Farm - Groovy Train
Joy Division - Transmission
TALK (road trips in particular Montreal Pop)
Stars - Elevator Love Letter (C)
The Dears - Heartless Romantic (C)
TALK - (unfinished business)
Moondog - Paris
Jonathan Richman - Velvet Underground
TALK - (Day 12)
SF Seals - Day 12
Lykke Li-Dance Dance Dance
TALK (Recent recommendations)
Murder Mystery - What My Baby Said
Hooded Fang - Land of Giants (C)
TALK (Last concert)
Junior Boys - So This is Goodbye (C)
Clip from my last radio show on CKMS


(C) Denotes Canadian Content

1 comment:

  1. Frank, possible to listen to this show, so so so so many years later? --GB

    ReplyDelete